Mechanical engineering is the branch of engineering that involves design, production and operation of different machinery or equipments and their associated tools. Major areas of Mechanical Engineering include design, manufacturing, heat and mass transfer, thermodynamics, industrial management etc. Mechanical Engineering utilizes core principles of above core areas that can be used in industrial field of manufacturing plants, industrial equipment and machinery, robotics, medical devices, heating and cooling systems, aircraft and crucial system. Use of newer paradigm, techniques, tools and approach such as rapid prototyping, computer aided design and manufacturing, robotics and Mechatronics, etc. would improve capability of existing system to produce low cost and high quality product in short duration of time.
Institute offer B. Tech and M. Tech courses in Mechanical Engineering. In Mechanical Engineering students are given knowledge on the basic principles of core area so that students are “Industry Ready”. Knowledge, hard work, effective communication and creativity are indulged in student through well qualified faculty and lab instructor. Effective student teaching methods are adopted to give complete theoretical and practical information of different domains. Practical session are given in the department through well equipped laboratories of workshop, material science and testing, fluid mechanics, advanced thermodynamics, heat and mass transfer, measurement and metrology, theory of machines, CAD, etc.
The department has evolved over time to keep up with the ever-increasing
challenges in technology development, while maintaining a strong base in the
fundamental aspects of Mechanical Engineering. While much of today’s research in
Mechanical Engineering is of interdisciplinary nature requiring knowledge from
numerous other science and engineering disciplines, the research work of the faculty
members of the department is categorized into three broad streams: Thermal and
Fluids Engineering, Design Engineering, and Manufacturing Engineering.
Vision of Department of Mechanical Engineering –
To be recognized as a provider of high-quality education in the field of Mechanical Engineering, leading to well qualified, technically developed engineers having moral values, entrepreneurial & innovative skills that enable graduates to meet the needs of industries as well as society.
Mission of Department of Mechanical Engineering –
- To educate, prepare and mentor students by indulging them in analytical and creative thinking to excel as professionals.
- To provide the facilities and academic environment of excellence, leadership, ethical guidelines and lifelong learning to get diverse careers as well as research in the field of Mechanical Engineering.
- To incubate the students regarding start-ups for the development and innovation of products and services to meet the needs of industries as well as society.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs)
- Graduates will become engineer in the industries associated with Mechanical Engineering as well as able to starting- up and growing their own new firms.
- Graduates will be able to design and develop Engineering system components with the sense of ethics, professionalism for the benefit of the industry as well as society.
- Graduates will become leading researchers and educators who create and spread new knowledge in Mechanical Engineering.
- Graduates will be able to strengthen their knowledge and skills through self- learning abilities throughout their professional career as well as to pursue higher education.
- PSO1. Perform in design sector by using the knowledge of Strengths of Materials, Machine Design, Hydraulics and Hydraulics Machines and Theory of Machines, etc.
- PSO2. Apply the fundamentals of Applied Thermodynamics, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Heat and Mass Transfer etc. in Power and Energy sector.
- PSO3. Understand the application of Material Science, Manufacturing Science, and Computer Aided Manufacturing etc. in manufacturing field.
- PSO4. Develop their managerial and Ethical skills by grasping the knowledge of Industrial Psychology, Engineering Economics, Industrial Management, Operations Research, Entrepreneurship Development and Human values and Professional Ethics
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- PO1. Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- PO2. Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- PO3. Design/Development of Solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- PO4. Conduct Investigations of Complex Problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- PO5. Modern Tool Usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- PO6. The Engineer and Society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- PO7. Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- PO8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- PO9. Individual and Team Work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- PO10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO11. Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- PO12. Life-long Learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.